Quick Menu


Thursday 9 October 2008

Pasta Aglio Olio i Funghi e Spinaci


I think I'm getting into the 'romance' of naming my pasta dishes by their Italian names. Only problem is, I'm not sure if they are grammatically correct and I run the risk of an Italian coming to my house and saying "Ciò è rifiuti. Non state parlando Italiano! (This is Rubbish. You are not speaking Italian!) while he takes of his gloves and slaps my face twice. Or is that what the French do?

The kids were feeling a little under the weather with both having the flu and fever. This didnt diminish their appetite however and they both asked for pasta. I decided to keep it simple but yet very nutritious by making a simple Aglio Olio but fortified with Mushrooms, Spinach and a little chilli for both flavour and colour.
This is what I did:

Ingredients
8 cloves garlic
1 small onion
200g large Swiss Brown Mushrooms
1 bunch spinach
2 chillies
2 tsp oregano
Black Pepper
Salt
Olive Oil

Method
Chop Onion, Garlic and Chilli. Fry with black pepper and oregano in Olive Oil till soft. Add in the mushrooms and cook till juices come out. Blanch the spinach and chop finely. Then add into the mixture. Season with a little salt. Toss together with cooked pasta.

I just love how simple this dish is. I think sometimes with Pasta, it is the simplicity that makes it really special.



I also made some meatballs that went really well with this pasta but thats for another time and another post! In the meantime, this is also my entry for Presto Pasta Nights hosted by (and also the brainchild of) my friend Ruth at Once Upon A Feast

I know I dont speak Italian but I do know what Bellissimo means and in my mind, this pasta dish is certainly that. Bellissimo!

15 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Sorry to hear the kids are not well...but I am sure a plate of this pasta made with the love of their Dad cheered them up:D

Thistlemoon said...

You are so funny Dharm! :)

I hope the kiddos are feeling better soon!

Peter M said...

A get well wish to your children and I must say the simplicity of the dish is attractive and a nice light offering for fall.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Ugh...hate the flu!!! Great pasta dish Dharm!

maybelle's mom said...

oh Belle has a cold and flu too, so I understand. And, this pasta sure does sound fancy.

Ruth Daniels said...

Great post, grazi (or however you spell "thank you" in Italian) for a lovely dish for Presto Pasta Nights.

Hope the kids are better and didn't share with Dad!

Ivy said...

Dharm! Il gusto perfetto!! Ė molto bello. I'm not sure what this means but I remember it from a pasta advertisement, I roughly translate "Perfect taste, it's beautiful" and I mean it, it is. I hope the kids are feeling much better now.

PG said...

Spinach and garlic - sounds delicious. There's something about a good meal that speeds up the recovery.

Jin Hooi said...

sounds so romantic ;-)) Lovely pasta

Pat said...

Hey Dharm,

Hope the kids are feeling better. I'm down with the flu too, boo-hoo-hoo, and it doesn't look like it's going away any time soon :(

And you're right, this does look bellissimo! I love the olive-oil style pastas, much more than the tomato sauce ones, cos that upsets my tummy. So I usally make that for the family, but not for me.

I'm gonna try your recipe!

Cheers,

Pat

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! Now you're making me crave this dish instead of the wantan mee that's going to be my lunch afterwards. Hmmph.

Núria said...

Your pasta could be cooked by an Italian ;D It's delicious!
Hope that your kids get better soon! I hate it when my daughter is sick... but a pasta dish always brings a smile on her face :D

~nm said...

You did not write when you added the spinach and did you steam them first or anything?

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

Yeah, sorry about the kids, my friend. You ARE too funny! I don't know Italian either. When I went to Italy I spoke Spanish and everyone seemed to know what I was talking about, so I never bothered to learn the language. You're doing infinitely better than I!

Anonymous said...

Hi, im a msian living in Italy and ive been combing thru yr awesome recipes. Will surely try some of them soon.

I think you shd rename it as Pasta Aglio Olio Con (with) Funghi e Spinaci. ;)

And bellissimo is correct, except that its used to describe something beautiful, or err...a handsome guy :P For food, you would use the term Buonissimo (which means REALLY delicious).

Hope that helps ;)