Quick Menu


Tuesday 9 February 2010

Steamed Fish with Ginger



I'"m not a great fish fan, simply because I fear that the bones will get stuck in my gums or my throat. However, I do like fillets and even fish that don't have too many small bones.

One of my favourite fish dishes to order when we eat at Chinese Restaurants is Steamed Fish with Ginger. I always thought that it would be too difficult to make at home but once I did it, I realised it is really such a snap to do!


The key to a good steamed fish is to make sure the fish is fresh. The flesh is then still firm and slightly sweetish. The main seasonings for this dish is soy sauce and ginger with a little garlic.



Sesame Oil lends a little more flavour and gives off a wonderful fragrance as well. This is my recipe for Steamed Ginger fish:


Ingredients
1 pomfret or any other fish - clean well
1-2 inches ginger
2 cloves garlic
1 onion - sliced
1 Tbsps Sesame Oil
1-2 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
Spring onions for garnishing
Method
Mince the ginger and garlic. Fry onions in sesame oil then add in the ginger paste. Fry lightly and then rub over both sides of fish, covering the top with more of the ginger mixture. Pour the soy sauce around the fish and then steam for about 15-20 mins. Spoon the sauce at the bottom of the dish over the fish again before serving.



Told you it was easy!

The fish is best eaten with rice or even on its own. I like this dish because you get the flavour of the fish itself as its not overpowered by curry or other sauces.



Aside from being easy, its the kind of dish that is always spectacular when served at the table whole. Whenever we order it in restaurants though, I always ask for Wan Yee (Common Carp/Grass Carp) as the meat is really chunky with very few small bones. I chose to make this dish with pomfret because it is relatively small and isnt too expensive. Pomfret may not be a particularly pretty fish but you can use any other fish (or pieces of fish) instead.

Whatever fish you decide to use, this is a delicious way to steam your fish and I will definitely be making it again...and again!



6 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

It's one of my favourites too! I heat the sesame oil and pour it over at the end, when the fish comes out of the steamer. The sizzling oil does good things!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I feel like picking up a fork and diving in Dharm. This looks so tasty.

jasmine said...

This looks delicious. I love fish, but rarely make it at home...I must change that...

j

Mallini said...

The fish looks really great, although, no chilli? Still no luck with the french lessons, and regarding the shotgun, my dad says to grow out a long curly moustache. Apparently that paired with the shotgun works a treat. ;D

Sarah said...

I love fish. I make it all the time. Ginger is a good 'go-with'. Check my blog for a 'gift'!

s said...

yum..fish and ginger...sounds great! a must try!