Quick Menu


Wednesday 8 February 2012

Crostini - Christmas 2011




Carrying on with my posts on Christmas Eve dinner 2011....


Whoever said appetisers had to be complicated? I wanted something simple, tasty and easy to make and their is nothing simpler and tasty than crostini.

Crostini, which actually means "little toasts" in Italian is an Italian appetizer consisting of small slices of grilled or toasted bread and toppings. The best thing with crostini is that you can use whatever topping you want.



I had some Mozzarella cheese in the freezer that was nearing its use by date and that was what prompted me to use it for this appetizer. I decided to keep it simple although The Lovely Wife suggested a variety of toppings. I got some nice baquettes from our local bakery and cut it up into slices. Then I fried up some bacon and mushrooms, topped it with mozzarrella cheese and then placed a sliced tomato on top. This was then grilled in the oven till the bread was slightly crisp and the cheese had melted. Simple but very tasty. My parents enjoyed this very much as a starter coupled with some crisp white wine while the kids wanted seconds.

Me? I could eat these all day long.....


3 comments:

Charlie said...

Thanks for the simple recipe, might wanna try it out in the future ^_^

Nava K said...

Simple to make but sure a wonderful treat.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These sound delicious Dharm.