Quick Menu


Saturday 23 June 2007

Whipped Cream - some tips

My son loves cream and loves it even better spooned over fruits. Since my parents were coming over for dinner, I decided to buy a can of fruit cocktail and whip up some cream. My wife often says that I've perfected the art of whipping cream. Any one that has whipped cream often enough knows that overwhipping cream causes it to separate and become an oily clotted mess. Underwhipping causes it not to hold its shape and it can become runny.

Well, it was an extremely hot day and the oven was on - with my casserole baking inside. That should have set off alarm bells but I thought I was too smart and too good to mess up whipping cream!

The cream started to double and thicken and then suddenly it went splat and separated! Fortunately I had bought a large carton of cream so I whipped another batch. It didnt whip too well either and so before it separated, I just stopped whipping and put it in the freezer.

I was most upset but the valuable lesson learnt is dont be too sure of yourself. The elements play a big part in cooking - especially when whipping cream! Some tips for those in warmer countries:
As a general rule, thickened cream whips better than whipping cream - due to the percentage of fat in the cream.
1)Make sure the cream is well Chilled
2)Place the bowl and beaters in the freezer for a little while
3)Use some icing sugar to sweeten the cream. This helps to stabilise it.
4)Start whisking at a low speed to ensure air is incorporated. Bubble will start to form on cream.
5)Increase speed to medium and continue beating. Make sure you move the mixer around the side and bottom of the bowl.
6)Continue beating till soft peaks or firm peaks. Stop beating before it separates (easier said than done!)

Enjoy your whipped cream!

1 comment:

Thistlemoon said...

I love whipped cream on fruit, just like your son! My favorite, you might want to try for him, is whipped cream with the seeds of about 4 cardamom pods whipped into it on top of pieces of papaya, I am telling you, it is the BEST!