Quick Menu


Friday 13 March 2009

Caramel Pears



It's amazing that I haven't posted about this before, because for a long, long time, this was my son's Favourite Dessert. I can't even remember when I hit upon the idea of serving pears with caramel but suffice to say that I did and the very first time, I used canned pears. However, as time went on, I tried it with fresh pears and I must say it is far nicer with Fresh pears. The pears are not so sweet and you can also get a little crunch out of them as opposed to canned pears.

This dessert is not at all difficult yet turns out to be a real crown pleaser. This is what I do.

Ingredients
6 fresh pears, peeled, cored and halved
300 ml cream
1 cup sugar
½ cup water
2 tsp rum (optional)


Method
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Make the caramel by melting sugar with water in a heavy saucepan.
Bring to the boil without stirring and continue boiling till sides of syrup start to turn golden.
Allow the caramel to cool slightly and then add in the cream. Be careful as the mixture will splutter. Continue to boil until it becomes thick.
Bake the pears for about 30 minutes or until tender.
Spread 1/3 of the caramel over the pears and bake for another 15 minutes. If using rum, add it into the remaining sauce and mix well.
Serve the pears with the remaining sauce.



I usually serve my Caramel Pears with whipped cream but this time I decided on serving it with Ice Cream. To be honest, I cant quite remember when this was served but that doesn't really matter, does it!





My son now says that this is ONE of his favourite desserts and that to me is a good thing as it simply means that he his tastes have matured a bit and it also means that both The Lovely Wife and I have increased choices to make our children happy with their favourite desserts!

6 comments:

luckysanjana said...

Hey !!! I could sure do with a dad like you........LOL growing up my dad provided for us and all but mom was dessert queen.....she would make this caramel custard that was awesome.............After mom died Dad would help me out in the kitchen some. The days i got up late he would make my lunch for me...........lol it was so bad that my friends at college named it " Albert Torture" but I ate it nonetheless and told him about it much later.....ten years later really........and he was so amused........Dads gone now and believe me I would trade anything to eat Alberts Torture.........

luckysanjana said...

hey you core the pears before you bake them right and peel them as well? or do you bake them in their skins???

Dharm said...

See... when you write your own recipes, you just assume that everyone knows what you are talking about! Yes, peeled and cored! I've updated the recipe...

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I can see why this would be a crowd pleaser Dharm:D Pears are the perfect fruit for this time of the year.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

For fear that I will give you a very big head, I'm telling you I think this is genius but very bad for me. I just ran out of the caramel I've been putting in my coffee and was thinking I'd go without for a while so as to cut a few calories. NOW I'll be making caramel sauce so I can serve this with the apple pears for a company dessert.
It really does wonders for a mom & dad to know they can make their kids happy.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Yum! I would love this. Some of my favourite flavours.