Quick Menu


Wednesday 25 March 2009

Black Forest Trifle - 2 versions



I'm sure i've mentioned that The Lovely Wife absolutely adores Trifle. In fact, she love Trifle so much that I once made her a Trifle Cake for her birthday. I usually like to make a more fancy dessert when we have guests over for dinner although I am slowly learning that there are in fact, quite a large number of people that actually like Trifle quite a lot! Another reason, that drives The Lovely Wife crazy is that I always like to try something new - to boost my repertoire and also to blog about it! So when we recently had a couple of friends over who like Trifle, I decided to try something new by making a Chocolate Trifle!





I actually had two occasions to make this Chocolate Trifle and I made two different versions. Both were made with layers of sponge, jam, black cherried, chocolate custard and cream. The first chocolate custard was loosely based on a recipe from a book The Lovely Wife got me called Chocolate Box.

I made the cake using the Perfect Party Cake Recipe from Dory Greenspan, then I sandwhiched the cake with Blackberry Jam, covered the whole lot in Black cherries and then covered that with chocolate custard and cream. Very, very delicious.



The second time, I followed the same idea except I made a different chocolate custard. This recipe was based on the Chocolate Eclairs Pastry Cream from another previous Daring Bakers challenge. The cake however didnt turn out as springy and spongy and that was because I didn't cream the butter and sugar quite as much as I should have. The cake was still lovely except that it was extra rich and buttery rather than soft, white and light like it should have been. The pastry cream was much nicer though. I also covered the trifle with almonds the second time around.


Both versions went down very well with the guests we have over. The second version was served for dessert at home after going out for lunch with Lynn and another friend, Ms Kong Piang, back in February and who also posted about it on her blog.

I think this Chocolate Trifle has definitely become a favourite dessert of mine to serve and more importantly to enjoy!



Chocolate Custard recipe from Chocolate Box
6 egg yolks
55g casetr sugar
1 Tbsp corn flour
500ml milk
55g dark chocolate

Place egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk until thick and pale. Stir in the cornflour. Put milk in a saucepan and heat until almost boiling. Pour onto the yolk mixture, stirring all the while. Return to the heat and bring to boiling, stirring constantly until it thickens. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Add in the chocolate and whisk till it is all melted and blended into the custard.

6 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

There was a time when I would eat Black Forest Cake everything...mt favourite icecream was Black Forest too!!!

Ms. Kong Piang: said...

You know, I rarely can recall specific sensations of food I taste. I mean they taste good or okay or bad but your trifle is different. I can picture in my mind the exact taste of a spoonful of the choc. mixed with cherries,nuts and cream. Yums.

Time to showcase your talent to the world.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I love how you're pulling elements from many sources and putting them together with great flare and creativity - really making it your own!!

~vaniLLe~ said...

looks darn good!! definitely one recipe that i am going to try out during the sem break....

breadchick said...

Dharm, every time I come over here you have yet another dessert I have to mark to make. This one isn't any different.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Great work! I have made black forest trifles a few times and they are always very well received. I actually made a triple-citrus trifle today to serve guests tomorrow.