Quick Menu


Friday 13 June 2008

Chicken Curry



To me, there is nothing quite as satisfying as a fiery curry with rice. Yes, Rice and Curry would definitely have to rank right up there as superb comfort food. When I first started to cook regularly, as a Uni student in Australia, a good curry always brought back images and tastes of home.


I remember sitting with my housemates, watching TV in the lounge, with our plates piled high with steaming rice and hot and spicy chicken curry. It didn't matter how cold it was cold outside nor did it matter that we were in the middle of exams. All that mattered at that moment was how good the rice and curry tasted and how much it reminded all of us of home!

This is my recipe for Chicken Curry.

1 Whole Chicken
1/2 inch ginger
1 tsp Turmeric
1 Large Onion
handful of curry leaves
3 Tbsp Curry Powder
1 Tbsp Chilli Powder
¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp fennel
4 cloves
3 Tomatoes
2 potatoes
½ Cup Fresh Milk
2 tbsp Cooking Oil
Salt to taste


Wash and cut chicken into medium pieces. Rub chicken with turmeric and ginger, salt and pepper. Remove skin if desired
Heat oil in deep pan or wok. Fry onions and curry leaves
Add in curry powder, fennel, cumin and cloves and lightly fry till fragrant. Take care not to burn the onions. Add in the sliced tomatoes and then toss in the chicken and potatoes. Mix well.

Pour in a little water if too dry. Allow the chicken to cook and then simmer until liquid is reduced. Add the milk and cook until mixture is thick.

If you like a 'richer' curry, use freshly squeezed Coconut Milk (or the canned variety) instead of fresh milk. I try and stay away from Coconut Milk in my curries as it is rather fatty albeit delicious!

Some people prefer their curry with more gravy. I like mine thick and with the curry coating the chicken in all its gooey goodness. If you like your curry with more gravy, just add in more water or milk. Simple as that!

When my mom used to make curry for all of us, she had a little trick to make sure that none of the 'gooey goodness' was wasted. After spooning the curry into a serving dish, she would scoop a spoon of rice into the wok or saucepan and mop up all the leftover curry. We would all then fight for that bit of rice!

10 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

Wow Dharm - that is so tasty looking - I just love the beautiful color. I am adding this to my recipe collection of recipes I would like to try one day! Thank you for sharing it!

Recipeswap said...

That a nice chicken recipe Dharm...sorry abt the earlier typo.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

oh boy dharm that curry looks hot. chicken curry is something I always enjoy in any style. this one sounds really goood!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Excellent Dharm. I can just picture you creating dishes for all your flat mates. Everyone was probably well fed and not "starving" university students.

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

I knew not the joy of a really good chicken curry. Until now. Thanks for sharing, Dharm.

giz said...

This curry looks amazing. Just one question - you have tumeric twice in the ingredient list - I'm assuming it's just an error or is it 2 tsp rather than one?

Anonymous said...

I sort of stumbled into your blog from Nuffnang's Innit. Good stuff you have here. I make my Malay inspired chicken curry minus coconut milk but use buah keras (no idea what its called in English, though).

Dharm said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments.

Giz, yes, I made a typo with my ingredients. 1 tsp turmeric is enough.

Gerald, I think buah keras is candelnut. I think...

Ruth Strong said...

I love a good curry, i was out for lunch at the weekend and what I had ordered was curry but ended up getting a sweet and sour chicken with some chili in it.... kind of gross. This looks like a really tasty curry though, great work dharm

KJ said...

Dharm this looks so good. I am definitely going to try it.