Quick Menu


Saturday 21 July 2007

Baked Dory Fish with Mushroom Lemon Sauce


Yay the weekend is here again! I love the weekend coz I dont
have to go to work, I get time to spend with the wife and kids and last but not least, I get to experiment in the kitchen!
I must admit that before I started this blog, I used to make the tried and tested - but now I try and test different things out. I also realised that I dont have any curries or other local dishes on my blog and I was going to correct that today by making a curry.
My son however, had other ideas. He wanted some of my baked fish - so the curries will have to wait!
I usually make Dory with a white sauce or a lemon sauce. This time I thought I'd make it with a creamy mushroom sauce flavoured with a hint of lemon. It turned out rather well - meaning that it got the wife's and kids seal of approval - and that is all that matters to me!
I decided to 'jazz' it up a little by serving the fish on a bed of spinach. My wife liked that 'artistic' touch and even wondered why the spinach tasted so good. It was simply blanched in hot water and sprinkled with sauce. The reason it tasted so good was because the juices from the fish and some of the sauce dribbled on to it.
This is how I made my recipe for Baked Dory Fish with Mushroom Lemon Sauce. I didnt measure anything (as per usual) so the measurements are just an approximation.

Ingredients
4 large Dory Fillets (about 1.5 kg)
3 cloves garlic - chopped finely
250g Button Mushrooms - quartered
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp rosemary
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp butter
200 ml Milk
4 bay leaves
Juice from half a lemon
Salt
Black Pepper
Olive Oil

Method

Wash fish and cut into large pieces. Place on baking tray lined with aluminium foil. Make sure there is sufficient foil to cover the fish too. Fry garlic together with oregano and rosemary. Add in black pepper. Stri fry mushrooms till slightly soft. Remove from pan. Add in a little more oil and butter. Stir in the flour and cook until golden. Add in milk and cooked mushrooms. Add in lemon juice and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until mixture thickens. Meanwhile, season Dory fillets with salt and pepper. Rub some of the lemon juice on to the fillets. Place bay leaves around fish and then pour the mushroom mixture over fish. Spread the sauce evenly. Fold over the aluminium foil to cover sides and top. Bake in 200C oven for about 30 minutes.

Oil and juices from the fish while cooking will dilute the sauce, so ensure that your sauce is thick enough before cooking the fish in the oven.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the recipe. i usually marinade the dory wif garlic, flour, salt, pepper and herbs like rosemary, mixed herbs & oregano. wl try ur sauce recipe :D

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your delicious recipe on google. I'm going to give it a try tonight, thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

I'm typing this very full and satisfied.This was a very nice dish and will defiantly be doing this one again. Excellent recipe thanx heaps.....burp!!!...pardon me!

Anonymous said...

Made this tonight and loved it :) And i absolutely love your blog. Glad I stumbled upon it. You are amazingly gifted.

Unknown said...

i tried this recipe and it was a success. me and hubby loved it!!! only thing is, after i put some salt, pepper and lemon on the fish, i fried it with olive oil and butter :-). yummy... thanks for the recipe :-)!

TP said...

I am a vegan but I just bought dory fish to cook for my hubby. Not sure what I was going to do with it and that is when I stumbled into your blog. Definitely going to try this recipe tonite and hope it turns out as good and tasty as yours. Thank you.

TP said...

I tried this recipe last nite and it did not turn out as beautiful as your picture but hubby loved it.

Since hubby love fish, so tonite I am going to try out the other fish recipe you have which is the coriander and lemon. Hope this turn out beautiful.

Thank you very much.

Emi Miao said...

i tried this recipe many times and i loved it so much..my friend kept asking me to cook for her again..