Quick Menu


Tuesday 8 February 2011

Chocolate Orange Cake with a Rabbit thrown in!



Happy Chinese New Year everybody! Okay, So I'm a little late but at least I'm still within the 15 days of Chinese New Year! This year, our good friend, Ms Lor Siak Por, invited us over for Chinese New Year lunch on Saturday, 5th February. That was the 3rd day of Chinese New Year.

I have to say that Ms Lor Siak Por cooked up a feast and I ate a whole lot more than I should have. I told her the food was Absolutely (F***ing) Delicious and she laughed at my profanity! I'd tell you what she cooked but then again this is my blog and not hers...

So anyway, The Lovely Wife and I thought that we couldn't go over empty handed especially since Ms Lor Siak Por is such an ardent fan of my cakes/desserts. Since this year is the Year of the Rabbit and since Chinese New Year is always equated with mandarin oranges, I decided to make a Chocolate Orange Cake.


I've made a Choc-Orange cake before for a friend where I just added in some marmalade and cointreau to my usual chocoalte cake recipe but this time I wanted it to be different. What I did was to make a double batch of my butter cake recipe, but modified to include Marmalade, Cointreua and Orange Oil. Then I split the quantity and added Cocoa to one half and then marbled the batter to make a Choc Orange Marble cake.

For the Icing, I used a combination of cocoa, butter and chocolate with liberal doses of cointreau added in as well. The results were indeed rather yummy. The recipe yielded enough for 1 round 9inch cake plus a square 8 inch cake plus a Mother rabbit and two baby rabbits.



I had the Rabbit moulds stored away in the cupboard - a hand me down from Mummy dearest who had apparently made a Rabbits in the garden cake many, many, many years ago! So I baked all the cakes together and they came out looking pretty good. I decided I would keep the small rabbits for the kids and put the mummy bunny on top of the square cake.


Makes 2 quantities. Half the recipe for just one cake.
Ingredients
460g (16oz) Flour
5 tsp Baking Powder
460g (16oz) Castor Sugar
500g Butter
8 Eggs – lightly beaten
6 Tbsp Marmalade
2 Tsps Orange Oil
3 Tbsp Cointreau
3 tbsp cocoa mixed with hot water

For the Icing
4 oz butter
4 oz chocolate
4 oz cocoa
12 oz icing sugar
1-2 Tbsp Cointreau
water

Method
Cream butter and sugar till light and ivory coloured. Add eggs a little at a time. Fold in flour (sifted twice with baking powder). Add in Marmalade, Orange Oil and Cointreau. Mix well till smooth. Halve the mixture. Mix the cocoa with a little hot water to make a smooth paste. Add in the cocoa to one half of the mixture.
Marble the batter by putting in two spoons of plain mixture followed by two spoons of chocolate mixture. Divide equally into two lined and greased cake pans or moulds.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 C for about 45 mins or till golden and done
Allow to cool then frost with icing.

Icing
Melt the butter, cocoa and chocolate together to form a smooth paste. Allow to cool. Sift the icing sugar and beat into the mixture. It may clump up a little. Add in the cointreau then add in a little hot water, a little at a time till you achieve a nice smooth, thick icing.
Method



I had made the cakes the evening before and The Lovely Wife's mother, brother, nephew and niece had come over. I served the cake with Ice Cream and the Kids ate the baby rabbits and then dug into the cake with much gusto. The cake was almost completely polished off and I was surprised by how fast it went.



Once cut, the cake had a nice marbled effect and the orange taste was rather distinctive while the chocolate was more subtle.

When we took the cake over to Ms Lor Siak Por's place, I was a bit embarrassed as I thought the rabbit looked more like a little rat as my icing didn't turn out so good. I had run out of icing bags and had to make do with zip lock bags that kept bursting. Fortunately, it looked enough like a rabbit for everyone to ooh and ahh. Apparently her other guests remembered my Chocolate Raspberry Cake that I made last year and I was hoping that this cake would be just as good.

The cake turned out really well and everyone enjoyed it. The kids especially liked it when we could finally cut into the rabbit. I think the rabbit tasted especially good too and as I said earlier, the marbling looked quite good too.




Happy New Year Ms Lor Siak Por and I hope you enjoyed eating whatever cake was left over! Thanks for the splendid meal too. :)







5 comments:

susan said...

wow that looks awesome! I love the combination of chocolate and orange as well.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Now I know where you get your love of baking and designing cakes from Dharm...your mom! This is a very clever cake to ring in the New Year!!!!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Happy Chinese New Year Dharm! Now that is a killer cake! :)

Hannah said...

Ah so cute! I think I was born in the year of the rabbit... so it's just a shame I can't stomach orange and chocolate together. Ah well, at least I can look!

Ms. Kong Piang: said...

I use to be rather skeptical when I watch cooking shows and the chefs get so ecstatic over the different layers of taste in the dishes....... Until I tasted the Rabbit cake. It is marvelous, the way I tasted the orange hints, liquor, buttery cake and choc with bites on different parts of the cake. Truly a cake of Prima Donna quality.