Quick Menu


Wednesday 19 January 2011

Sloppy Funny Nachos



Nacho's are a firm favourite in my household. Not only are they loved by The Lovely Wife, but the kids really enjoy their nachos too. I've made nachos but this time I thought I'd do something a little different. The excuse to do it different really came about because there was a few items in the fridge that needed to be used up!

There was a slab of minced beef and a bag of mushrooms. We all know that mushrooms dont last that long and so I figured I'd better use them up especially since mushies are so expensive! There was also some leftover tomato paste that The Lovely Wife had used for something or other and a large bag of corn chips in the pantry. With all those ingredients at hand, I asked my kids if they would like some 'funny' Nachos for dinner.





My little princess looked at me with wide eyes and asked what 'funny' nachos were. I explained that they were nachos, but just not the nachos that she would usually get in shops and neither the ones that Daddy usually made.

"Will they taste nice?" She asked me.

I put my hands on my hips and stared her down. She laughed, then rolling her eyes she smiled cheekily and said. "Daddy is making it so it must be nice."

My son piped up in his all knowing manner. "Correct! That's the correct answer!"

I smiled back at them and went to give them a hug. "We'll see," I said. "Let me make them first, then we'll see what they taste like."



Ingredients
2 cloves garlic - chopped
1 tsp oregano
3 bay leaves
200g Minced Beef
200g button mushrooms - sliced thinly
3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
3 slices Cheddar Cheese
Salt
1 large packet corn chips
Method
Sautee the garlic and oregano together with bay leaves. Add in the mince and cook well. Season with salt. Add in the mushrooms and cook till tender. Add in the tomato paste and mix well. If too thick, add in a little water. Simmer until nicely cooked. Place mixture in a small loaf pan, packing down well. Top with Cheese slices and bake at 190C for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is nicely melted.
Serve over a bed of corn chips.



How did it taste? Well, kind of like a cheesy beef chilli but without the beans. Kind of like a sloppy joe as well. Regardless what it tasted like, it was good. Darn good.

The kids couldn't stop eating it and to be honest, neither could I. After devouring the whole pack of chips together with the whole loaf of meat, both kids sat back in a mix of contentment and sheer over stuffing. As they say, a picture speaks a thousand words...



Really tasty, really easy, lots of fun and a great way to please the kids!

1 comment:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This would please the kid in all of us Dharm.