Quick Menu


Sunday 15 November 2009

8 Years Old today with an Aircraft Carrier Cake...



Today is my son Michael's Birthday - 8 years old! As usual, we woke him up in his room and hid his presents under the bed...!

As each birthday comes to pass, the challenge to make the children their birthday cake of choice gets more and more difficult!

This year, Michael asked for an Aircraft Carrier cake. As usual, I surfed the Internet and got an idea of how others had made Aircraft carrier cakes. I had grandiose plans of trimming the cake in the shape of a V, and then having a flat top - just like how an Aircraft Carrier should - but I realised that the cake wouldn't possibly stand with any stability. So I just decided to make a large rectangle cake and then cut it so that at least from the top it would look like an Aircraft Carrier.



I had also planned on making the control tower out of cake but one evening as I looked at all the Lego my son has, I hit upon the idea of making a control tower out of Lego.


An Aircraft Carrier needs Aircraft and I looked at all the toy shops for little toy aeroplanes but couldnt find any. One of the presents that we bought for Michael was a plastic need-to-assemble model Aircraft Carrier. As luck would have it, when Michael opened up the Aircraft Carrier box this morning, it was full of tiny Aeroplanes! Yay! Problem of lack of planes solved!!



After icing the ship, I still felt it needed a little enhancement so I printed out 'runway guides' and the Ship Registration number on Plastic Transparency. Why MA 49? Well, Michael likes the number 49 and MA are the initials of his first and middle names.



As I type this, there are some Apple Cinammon Muffins baking in the oven while The Lovely Wife is slaving in the kitchen making fried noodles. No party per se but since the Grandparents and the Uncles and their families are coming over, there needs to be some food...

Stay tuned for the Cake Cutting photos as well as photos of the 'pseudo party'!!


10 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

As always you have outdone yourself Dharm. I sometimes still long for the days when I used to have theme parties and cakes for L'il Burnt Toast. Happy birthday to your little man!!!!

Maria said...

Great cake Dharm. I know how hard it can be to put cakes like this together so I imagine it must have been a bit of work. Lovely details and I am sure your little one enjoyed it very much. Happy Birthday to him!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Happy birthday to the young man.

I think that sounds like a party to me.

Lauren said...

Such a fantastic cake! Happy Birthday to the little man =D.

Elle said...

Totally cool cake and great save with the mini planes. Hope the birthday boy enjoyed it!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Happy Birthday, Michael! You are a very lucky boy. Your dad and your mom are gems. Truly. They must really love you so much. Treasure them like they treasure you.

Ken Wooi said...

wow that's a cake!
nice! =D

kenwooi.com

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Happy Birthday to your son!

Wow, that cake look awesome! You really outdid yourself, Dharm!

Cheers,

Rosa

Cakelaw said...

Cute cake - happy belated birthday to Michael!

Julia @Mélanger said...

What a sensational cake! Amazing.