Quick Menu


Saturday 19 September 2009

Steamed Prawns with Marie Rose Sauce



My Kids love prawns. Both of them do. I love prawns too but I try not to eat too many of them - cholesterol you know. Anyway, when The Lovely Wife and I were at the market the other day, I felt like pleasing the kids - so i bought prawns.

When I bought the prawns, I didnt really know what I was going to do with them. I just bought the prawns as I knew the kids would like it - and give me an excuse to east some too!



My kids are also sauce merchants - meaning they love all kids of sauces - tomato sauce, thousand island dressing, soy sauce, honey mustard sauce. You name it, they like it. Give them anything with sauce on it and they are happier than happy.



I like prawns any which way they are cooked but sometimes it is best to just enjoy their natural flavour. So I decided to steam them and serve them with a dipping sauce - a Marie Rose sauce to be precise.

Marie Rose sauce is the one that you often find served with a prawn cocktail. It goes really well with any kind of seafood too and is really easy to make. Basically its a 'guess-timate' kind of recipe where you mix mayonaisse and tomato sauce together (ratio of about 3:1) with a dash of tabasco and worcestershire sauce, adjusting it to your own taste.




Ingredients
Prawns
1 part Tomato Sauce
3 parts Mayonnaise
dash Worcestershire sauce
dash Tabasco Sauce
Pepper

Method
Shell and devein the prawns - leaving shell intact.
Place the prawns in a steamer and steam for a few minutes till pink.

Make the sauce by combining the tomato sauce and mayonnaise. Add in a dash of tabasco and worcestershire sauce. Adjust to your taste.





To make the dish look nice, I garnished it with with japanese cucumbers and also to give the kids something more to eat with the sauce. They loved the prawns but I'm not sure if they loved the sauce more...

5 comments:

Ms. Kong Piang: said...

Love prawns too. Your sauce looks better than the restaurants.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Beautiful presentation as well!!!!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Such a classic! It looks really good.

Karine said...

I love prawns too and your recipe looks delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Oh that sounds like a lovely sauce! And I *do* love my prawns :)