Quick Menu


Wednesday 22 July 2009

Fried Baby Squid or Kalamarakia Tiganita




My son has a liking for squid and calamari. Some time back, when we had dinner at Kuala Selangor after visiting the Firefly Sanctuary we had a dish of fried baby squid in mayonaisse. He really enjoyed that and so when he saw some baby squid on sale at our local market, he got very excited and asked The Lovely Wife if she could buy some and make it for him.

Neither of us have ever cooked baby squid before but how were we to refuse? The Lovely Wife asked the fishmonger how to clean the squid and he said to just "rinse the squid and then pull the head out."

The Lovely Wife decided she was just going to fry the squid and serve it with lemon as another of both our childrens favourites is nothing other than lemon (or lime). Don't ask me where they get this from but they just love sucking on the sour fruit and squeezing lemon or lime all over their food...

The Lovely Wife surfed for some recipe ideas and found a simple Greek styled recipe for fried squid with lemon. It's really so simple that you don't even need a recipe but this is what she did.


Ingredients
A whole heap of baby squid!
Plain flour
lemon wedges
salt
Method
Wash and clean the baby squid - removing its head. Season with a little salt. Dredge the squid in plain flour till nicely covered. Fry till golden. Serve with lemon wedges.

How easy is that I ask you!

My son really enjoyed the baby squid and promptly told his maternal grandmother later than night how much he had liked it. He had one complaint though and that was "I told Mummy that she didn't buy enough and I was right. Can you buy some for me and make it tomorrow?"

7 comments:

maybelles mom said...

its great that your kids will eat so many different kinds of foods. I am hoping my Belle will be like that too. And, I was just like those kids about sour things. My grandmother used to warn me about my teeth.

breadchick said...

I'm with your son! You didn't buy enough. I love calimari and squid and my dad and I always fight over the last bit.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

It's that last bite that's the very best! ... isn't it ... or does it taste just like the first ...
This looks like a dish whose ease of preparation belies how wonderful it tastes.

Chefspiration said...

Ohh looks so good! That's wonderful that your kids love lemon...hehe...most kids can't stand it :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Your kids are "foodies" in training Dharm.

Neriel said...

It's Greek, no ?

Alicia Foodycat said...

I had those tiny little baby squid in Singapore - so crispy and delicious! But Greek-style is hard to beat.