Quick Menu


Wednesday 23 July 2008

Creamy Chicken, Brinjal, Mushroom and Spinach Pasta



For some reason, the kids just love their pasta. They can never get enough of it. Each time you ask them what they feel like having for lunch or dinner, their little eyes light up and they request for pasta - more often than not, creamy pasta.

That's just what happened one Saturday when my son Michael had to go to school for a replacement class due to a shchool holiday or event or something or other. The Lovely Wife had arranged to go with one of her friends on a shopping spree or event or something or other. Yes, sometimes I kinda lose the plot of who is going where for what reason. All I knew was that I had to send Mike to school and then take the opportunity to spend some quality time alone with Sarah.

I also had to cook lunch too! So Sarah and I had a fun time shopping for groceries at the local supermarket. I decided to do a simple creamy pasta but one that had a lot of flavour. That basically meant that I had no idea what I wanted to make!

As Sarah and I walked down the aisles, we picked up some Brinjal, some Mushroom (but of course!) and some Spinach. I then decided on some chicken mince simply because I had this idea of a creamy white looking pasta.
This is what I did.

Ingredients
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
300g Mince Chicken
200g white button Mushrooms
1 Brinjal
1 large bunch Fresh Spinach
Milk
2 tsp corn flour - for thickening
Salt
Black Pepper

Method
Chop the garlic and sautee with basil and oregano. Cut mushrooms thinly and dice brinjal. Cook the mince chicken until well done. Add in the mushrooms and brinjals and cook well. Meanwhile wash and clean the spinach. Blanch in hot water and then chop the spinace. Add to chicken mixture. Add in some milk and season with salt and pepper. If required, mix some cornflour with water and add to mixture to thicken it. Serve with your choice of pasta.


Mike was thrilled when I picked him up from school and mentioned that I had cooked lunch. Sarah promptly announced that she helped with the shopping and cooking too! After a quick shower, Michael sat down with Sarah and I for lunch as the Lovely Wife wasn't home yet.

I must say that there's nothing quite as satisfying as seeing two hungry children enjoying their lunch so much!

When the Lovely Wife returned about an hour later, she too wolfed down the pasta as she hadn't been able to have lunch due to having to line up for a long time at the sale. I've never quite figured out the logic of spending half a day at a sale to get a few items that you would not or may not normally buy anyway. But I'll save that argument for another day.


This Pasta Dish is also my entry for Presto Pasta Nights hosted this week by Kate at Thyme for Cooking

7 comments:

Ruth Daniels said...

It does sound delicious as I sit here sipping my morning coffee. Pasta is not my usual breakfast, but your dish is making me want some right now.

David T. Macknet said...

Sounds yummy ... except for the brinjal, which I will now google to find out what it might be and whether it would be yummy or not!

David T. Macknet said...

Ahh - eggplant! Yep: yummy!

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

What is brinjal? An eggplant? An aubergine?

Dharm said...

Brinjal - Eggplant - Aubergine. All the same thing although there are different varieties of the same I believe. Here in Malaysia we normally call it brinjal and although I usually refer to it as eggplant for my cross cultural and international readers, this time I neglected to! LOL

Anonymous said...

Wow Dharm that looks so good..and luckily carbs give you lots of energy!
Thanks for visiting hte new blog.
And now I am reminded i have NO pasta dish for presto pasta!
what a week.

Katie Zeller said...

Creamy white pasta with a touch of spinach....perfect. I'll come for lunch anytime.
As to the shopping - I avoid sales like the plague...
But my sister would have been with your Lovely Wife - and probably encouraged her to stay longer and buy more!
I'd have been at the food shops with you ;-))