Quick Menu


Monday 25 February 2008

Neccesity is the mother of Invention!


What do you do when the following hits you all at once:
- you haven't had time to replenish the groceries
- you've spent the better half of the morning playing with the kids
- everyone is hungry, including you!!
- you're contemplating getting some takeout (but thinking twice coz the wallet is empty too!)
- Your kids look at you with their darling puppy dog eyes and ask you oh so sweetly: "Daddy, can you make some of your creamy pasta?"

What to do? Well, like Thomas the Tank Engine, I thought I could.


I knew I had a little leftover cream in the fridge. I searched the cupboards and found some Fettucine. There were also some cans of tuna. What else did I have? I checked the fridge and there was some celery as well as broccoli. Not the ideal combination but at least there were some vegetables. No mushrooms either. I hate it when I don't have mushrooms in my creamy pasta.

Interesting combination and nothing I had ever made using these ingredients. But the kids wanted a creamy pasta and I had to pull something out of the hat.

Okay, so maybe a Pasta Alfredo with Tuna and Broccoli. Sounds interesting and not too difficult. So there it was, Necessity had made me invent this dish. But like all inventions, things had to go wrong. In this case, things didn't really go wrong. There was no plural - just one big, bad one! My cream had gone all sour on me! Rancid too. Bad, just all bad cream. Fortunately though, I checked it before pouring it in so not such a biggie really.

This is what I did:

2 cloves garlic - chopped
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp basil
1 stalk celery - chopped finely
2 cans of tuna (total 360g)
1 broccoli - cut into small florets
250 ml milk
1/2 Tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
2 slices cheddar cheese
salt
black pepper
Olive Oil


Sautee the garlic in a little olive oil. Add in black pepper, oregano and basil and cook till fragrant. Add in the celery, mixing well. Add in the tuna and break up while browning slightly. Add in some water and allow to simmer.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan and add in the flour. Stir quickly to blend the flour and cook till golden. Add in the milk and mix well to incorporate. Cook until mixture thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Add sauce to tuna mixture and add in broccoli. Continue to simmer, mixing well. Break cheese slices into small pieces and add to mix, mixing well.


The kids loved the pasta and to add a little kick, I served it with some Chilli Flakes. Pretty good for something made out of the blue. I think this is another keeper!


I've also submitted this as an entry to Presto Pasta Nights hosted by my lovely friend Ruth over at Onceuponafeast.blogpsot.com. I think PPN just celebrated its 100th week!
Actually, Ruth has just advised me that it is 52 weeks of Presto Pasta Nights and NOT 100!! Sorry about the error on my part...

6 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

That's how Cobb Salad was invented through leftovers in the fridge..this pasta came about the same way ..sounds delicious :D

Marye said...

LOL! we call this type of thing Desperation Casserole!

glamah16 said...

Super Dad to the rescue!

Ruth Daniels said...

Actually, it's just week 52 for Presto Pasta Nights. Thanks for contributing and making it such a hit.

And frankly, nothing makes a great meal out of ..."nothing"...than pasta. This one's a perfect example. Thanks for sharing.

Dharm said...

Val,
I always learn something from you.. would you believe I've never heard of a Cobb Salad?

Marye,
LOL! You're absolutely right! This was desperation!

Glamah,
Always lovely to hear from you

Ruth,
Sorry about the error on counting the weeks! I'll go make a note on the post now! :)

Anonymous said...

That's what I like about pasta, just mix with it whatever you find in the cupboard and your set!