Quick Menu


Thursday 21 February 2008

Baked Chocolate Mousse


This is an original creation that I came up with for my Daughter's 4th Birthday. I had been wondering for a while what would happen if I used Chocolate and used it to make a sort of Chocolate Pudding, much like how I would make a Creme Caramel - minus the caramel of course. I decided that I had just better stop wondering and try it out.

The more I thought about it and the more I ran the idea through my head, I figured that the recipe had all the ingredients for a Chocolate Mousse although I wouldnt separate the eggs. I also thought that I would probably need to add some flour into the mix to stabilise it. This is what I came up with.

Ingredients
200g Good Quality Dark Chocolate
4 eggs
200g Caster Sugar
300 ml Thickenend Cream
3 Tbsps Corn Flour

Method
Melt the chocolate over a double boiler and let cool. Meanwhile, beat eggs with sugar till nice and foamy. Add in the melted chocolate and continue beating till nicely incorporated. In a separate bowl, whip cream to soft peaks. Fold into the chocolate mixture and then add in sifted corn flour. Mix well to incorporate. Pour into a 9" round pan and place in a water bath. Bake in 180C oven for about 30 minutes.

The top of the dessert formed a slight crust and then I let it cool before placing it in the fridge overnight. I didn't realise however that I could have a problem removing it from the pan to plate it!! In hindsight, it would have been better to use a springform pan. Nonetheless, I used a hairdryer to warm the sides and base of the pan and fortunately the dessert slipped out nicely.

I didnt have a flat enough plate so the dessert cracked a little and that is why I dusted it with some Snow Powder. I think it gave it a nice look anyway.




How did it taste? Heavenly! It was simply delicious and tasted like a mix between Rich Chocolate Ice Cream and a Mousse. The texture was velvety yet firm - almost like a cheesecake.


What I might do differently the next time is maybe add a teaspoon of baking powder to see if it becomes lighter. I'd also more than likely either line the pan with greaseproof paper or maybe make a base of biscuits. Whatever it is, this is simply a fantastic dessert for Chocolate Lovers!

The only thing that remained was what to call this. Since I went into it with just a foggy idea of what I wanted, I never bothered to think about what to call it - I wasn't even sure if it would turn out alright. Everyone loved it and they all wanted to know what it was called. So, since it tastes like a chocolate mousse, and since its baked what better name to call it than simply a Baked Chocolate Mousse! I think I have definitely hit on a winner here!



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful, and I love the description of the texture. I will have to give this a try!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

This looks simply outrageous DHarm. I love the experiment and the way it looks it seems to have been a great success!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Mmmmmm. That looks so wonderful!

breadchick said...

Reminder to self, don't click on Dharm's blog before you finish your healthy breakfast. It will make one want to run out to the local bakery and buy everything with chocolate in it ;-)

Dharm, this looks wonderful and I'm making this pretty soon!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Excellent job Dharm. You are so creative and can make wonderful dishes so easily!! Your daughter had a beautiful cake and a chocolate mousse cake too :D Lucky girl :D

starlight said...

this is stunning! you just constantly outdo yourself, don't you? :)

Deeba PAB said...

Happy birthday to your little princess. She's gonna rememebr all this when she grows up. At 12, mine still remembers the ones I made when she was 5 & 6! The flavours look fab...what a great idae!!

Dee said...

Bookmarked! Maybe I don't need a reason after all :)