Quick Menu


Friday 25 January 2008

Roasted Lamb Chops



My Mother got a great deal on Lamb Chops over the New Year and she asked if I could whip up something with them for lunch at my Grandmothers house on New Years Day. The Lamb Chops brought back memories of my Uni days when my flatmates and I used to buy lamb chops and then phsically chop them into smaller pieces to make lamb curry. Why in heavens would we do that? Simply because lamb curry is absolutely fabulous and buying lamb chops was a damn sight cheaper since we were all on shoe string budgets as students.


I briefly considered making curried lamb chops but decided that would be a waste of nice chops. So, I decided to marinate them and then roast them in the oven - much like how I would roast a leg of lamb.

What I did with these chops was fairly simple. I threw them into a large bowl and added in some pepper, garlic, lots of Fresh Rosemary and finally about 1/2 litre of Prune Juice.



I've learnt that prune juice is a wonderful substitute for Red Wine and it gives a great flavour to meat. I let the lamb marinate in this concoction overnight and then rubbed some salt on the chops before slow roasting them in the oven for about an hour.


No doubt, a nice leg would have tasted so, so much better but these lamb chops turned out very nice as well!

3 comments:

glamah16 said...

Lamb is my all time favorite. And with curry a real winner! Interesting to know about the prune juice as a sub for red wine.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I would not have thought to substitute prune juice for wine in a marinade.See...I've learned something new yet again today from my blogging friends!!!

culinaryprincess said...

i've never used prune juice in my cooking before.Must try this recipe out when im back in ausieland and need a quick dinner