Sunday, 26 April 2009

Food Flag for Royal Foodie Joust

This month's Royal Foodie Joust is kind of different. Rather than 3 food ingredients, we were given the challenge of using colours! Red, Green and White.

Since these are the colours of the Italian Flag, since Jenn, The Queen is Italian, since I love pasta so much and since the kids wanted pasta for dinner last night, this is what I came up with - a Pasta Food Flag!




The Lovely Wife is away so when the Kids and I went shopping for groceries, I already had the gears in my head clicking away. I decided on spinach pasta for the green, a creamy chicken and mushroom sauce for the white and at first I contemplated making a tomato based sauce for the red. Then I thought, rather than have two sauces lets do something else for the red.

The more we walked around the supermarket, the more convinced I was that only one sauce was needed. I do so very like how tomato complements a cream sauce and gives it a zing with every bite. That's when I decided that for the red part of the flag, I'd use cherry tomatoes, roast them with some basil and layer them on top to finish the flag! And that is just what I did.




Ingredients
4 cloves garlic - chopped
1 large onion - chopped
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp basil
400 g Chicken Fillet - cut into large cubes
8 slices bacon rashers - chopped
200g Portobello Mushrooms - sliced
150ml Cream
100g Cherry Tomatoes
2 tsp basil


Method
Sautee the onion and garlic with the basil and oregano. Add in the bacon and cook well. Add the chicken and cook until done. Add in the mushrooms and continue to cook until the juices of the mushrooms are released. Add in the cream and allow to simmer. Season with salt and black pepper. If you want the sauce thicker, thicken with a little corn flour dissolved in water.
Manwhile, half the cherry tomatoes and place face up in a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with basil. Bake in a 200C preheated oven for about 20 minutes.

To serve, arrange the spinach pasta, cream and tomatoes in the shape of the Italy Flag!


So there you have it. The dish turned out rather delicious and since The Lovely Wife missed it, the kids and I decided to share this creation with my parents who were more than pleased with this dish.



So now, please rise and stand at attention as we sing Il Canto degli Italiani, the Italian National Anthem......

I'm also entering the dish to Presto Pasta Nights, conceived and hosted by my dear friend Ruth over at Once Upon a Feast.

8 comments:

Foodycat said...

It looks delicious - all those flavours work so well together, and the colours are lovely!

Bellini Valli said...

Very inventive and delicous to boot Dharm. Good luck in the Joust:D

Ms. Kong Piang: said...

Sounds simple enough and looks delicious.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Looks brilliant Dharm! Love these kinds of challenges to get the juices flowing!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

This is a GREAT entry Dharm! I am honored to have played a role in your inspiration for this dish, my friend! :)

Ruth Daniels said...

Lovely! I always wanted to eat a flag. Thanks for sharing with PResto Pasta Nights.

petermarcus said...

Great colors, and I love the thought process that went into this dish! Fun entry, Dharm!

tigerfish said...

So ingenious!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin