Quick Menu


Wednesday 18 March 2009

A Virus... A bad, bad Virus!

I haven't been very regular with my posting of late and that is due to a number of reasons. I've been extra busy at work, I've been extra busy at home and most importantly, I was hit by a very bad virus. Not me actually but this PC!

It was one of those viruses that was hidden deep down in the system. The anti virus programs that I installed said the infected files were in 'globalroot/systemroot' - don't ask me, even though I am pretty IT savvy, I couldn't find where these files were located. Apparently these are known as Rootkit Trojans as they hide themselves in the System or Root and can't be found with a simple search.

I tried downloading Malware and Spybot (other detection software) but after downloading, the programs just refused to run. Research on the web showed that the virus would prevent these programs from running and a way out was to change the filename of these detection software.

Wouldn't you know, that fixed the problem of the programs not running!! It was finally able to detect the Trojans and remove them (hopefully for good!) As I finish up this post, my PC is undergoing a full scan which thus far seems to show positive results!

With that, I hope to get back to more regular postings! See you soon.

4 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

So grand when it works, so bad when it doesn't.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

We have such a love/hate relationship with our computers don't we. Glad you will still be able to share all of your excellent dishes Dharm:D

Ivy said...

Glad you solved the problem.

David T. Macknet said...

Would you be willing to hint at what sort of antivirus you were running which allowed the rootkit to work its way in?