Monday, 27 October 2008

Citrus Prawn on Spiced Pumpkin




All Hail the Queen! Jenn, the Leftover Queen, organises a monthly Royal Foodie Joust where 3 ingredients are selected by the previous months winner. This month, the 3 ingredients were selected by last month's winner, Susan of Sticky Gooey Creamy Chewy. She chose to challenge us with :
Acorn Squash
Oranges
Sage

Acorn what?! Acorn squash. What? Apparently it is a winter squash. Since I live in South East Asia where winter is an unheard of occurence, there was no possibility whatsoever of finding an Acorn Squash. (Never mind that I have no idea what they look like!)

Jenn had allowed us to use "...pumpkin or some other orange fleshed winter squash." So I decided to use pumpkin. Then when I was doing the shopping, I noticed some tiny, green coloured pumpkin lookalikes and I got all excited. Only to be told that these were made of plastic and were simply decorations for Halloween...

When did Malaysia ever celebrate Halloween?? I guess this is due to the effects of globalisation...




Now October has been a rather busy month for me where I've also been away for two weeks even! So I just managed to squeeze in making this entry for the RFJ over the weekend.

The inspiration for this dish actually came while I was watching an early morning breakfast show (I think it was on channel 7) while waiting to leave for the airport from one of the hotels in Sabah (where I was on work the whole of last week).

The chef featured on this show, from Carcosa Seri Negara (a very, very swish hotel in Kuala Lumpur) had made a Scallop dish with a celery mash. This was a main meal for one. I figured why not make something similar but use prawns instead of scallops and use a pumpkin mash instead of celery. Sounds good right?


This is what I did.

Citrus Prawn on Spiced Pumpkin

4 large prawns - shelled and deveined leave tails on
black Pepper
Juice from 1/2 orange
quarter small pumpkin
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp curry powder
Black Pepper
Juice of 1/4 orange
Salt
2 cloves garlic - chopped
2 tsp sage
1 red chilli
celery leaf for garnish
Salt

Method
Marinate the prawns in orange juice and black pepper.
Cut the pumpkin into small pieces. Fry the curry powder and black pepper together with the pumpkin until soft. Add some water to prevent it from drying out if necessary. Using a masher or fork, mash the pumpkin and then add in milk and orange juice and mix till smooth. Season with salt. Set aside
Meanwhile, in a clean pan, fry chopped garlic and sage until fragrant. Add in prawns and cook quickly until prawns turn pink. Serve by laying the pumpkin on a plate and then arranging the prawns on top. Garnish pumpkin with chillies and prawns with celery leaf.

The prawns tinged with citrus and sage were delicious on their own while the sweet pumpkin flavoured with a little curry powder paired very well with the prawns. The chilli lent an extra bit of spiciness to every bite of prawn in true Malaysian style.

I think this dish tasted rather fabulous, even if I do say so myself! My wife is a little allergic to prawns so that is why I only made a single serving. She did however try one bite of the dish and proclaimed it to be of "Restaurant standard."





All I can say is that I thoroughly enjoyed the dish and I almost patted myself on the back for this creation.

Almost.

12 comments:

maybelle's mom said...

So yum. isn't globalization crazy. (BTW, I made Chicken a la whatever b/c of you with kohlrabi, carrots, and LONG BEANs but then promptly had no time for pictures. But, thanks for the suggestion.)

NĂºria said...

He, he! That is a fantastic dish Dharn!!!! Patting your own arm would have been the thing to do :D

I love the combo and I think that the use of prawns goes so well with the rest of ingredients. Perfect for the Joust :D

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Well, I love it! Beautiful photos! I'd be patting you on the back with congratulations if I had a plate of this. I think that looks like a wonderful combo!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

It's great that you've "asianised" this dish which, btw, looks absolutely scrumptious. I can't wait to try this recipe!

Kavs said...

When did Malaysia ever celebrate Halloween??

I was wondering the same thing too when someone mentioned having to get their kids costumes for trick or treating.

the dish looks delish and so easy! hope your diwali BBQ went well :-)

Bellini Valli said...

Excellent choice Dharm!!!!What a creative way to use the 3 ingredients:D

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy said...

Your dish looks wonderful! I love the way you used the ingredients. Very creative and, I'm sure, very delicious too! Well done!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

tHAT DISH LOOKS AND SOUNDS WONDERFUL! a GREAT COMBINATION OF FLAVORS!

cHEERS,

rOSA

Dana McCauley said...

This sounds like a fun challenge!

giz said...

Dharm, this is one of your best yet - in my humble opinion. You've zeroed in om my very favourite things and you're taunting me all the way from the other side of the world.

Laurie said...

Dharm, Thank you so much for helping me with my photo for the Joust!

I'm so glad I found your blog. You are an awesome writer as well as a fabulous cook and your squash/pumpkin dilemma made me laugh.

Your dish looks SO awesome! And I even have all the ingredients in my house right now. I'm having a small election day dinner party on Tuesday and have been wondering what to cook. I think your prawns would be perfect.

Good luck with the Joust!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Dharm it looks just as beautiful as a restaurant plate too!

I have been away too and I am sorry that it took me this long to get over here! I am playing catch up!

best of luck in the Joust! This is a great entry!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin