Sunday, 21 September 2008

Roasted Fennel Chicken with Creamy Fennel Tri-Mushroom Sauce



The ingredients for this months edition of the Royal Foodie Joust were chosen by Protos of Souvlaki for the soul who won the previous months joust.

The brainchild of Jenn, the Leftover Queen, the Joust is a monthly event that is getting bigger and better and above all is a lot of fun.

These are the three ingredients:
Fennel (whole, ground, seeds)
Dairy (in any form)
Parsley

I must admit that it took me awhile to figure out something that would combine Fennel and Dairy. I use fennel seeds a lot in my curries and almost considered just making a curry but decided to try something new.




So after thinking about it for a while, I decided to make a Roast Chicken seasoned generously with Fennel and then pair that with a creamy Fennel tinged Mushroom sauce. It turned out super and the slightly sweetish aniseed taste of fennel complemented the chicken and mushrooms very well.

This is what I did:

Roasted Fennel Chicken

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken
1 tbsp Fennel Seeds
1 tsp whole black pepper
2 gloves garlic
1 inch ginger
1 tsp Olive Oil
Salt
Parsley

Method
Clean and Wash the chicken and then pat dry with paper towels. Grind the fennel, pepper, garlic, ginger and oil together to form a rough paste. Combine with the salt and then rub insides and out of chicken with mixture. Roast at 190C for about 1 hour. Meanwhile prepare the sauce. Garnish with parsley

Creamy Fennel Mushroom Sauce

Ingredients
250g mushrooms (I used a selection of Portobello, Swiss Brown and Button)
2 tsp fennel
3 tsp Oregano
6 cloves garlic
150ml milk
Black Pepper
Salt
2 tsp corn flour
Parsley

Method
Slice mushrooms thinly. Sautee the garlic with black pepper. Add in oregano and fennel and mix together. Fry till fragrant. Add in the mushrooms and cook till tender and juices come out. Add in milk and season with salt. Add in a little corn flour mixed with water and then mix well till mixture is thickened. Garnish with parsely



This dish was a hit with the Lovely Wife and the Kids. My daughter, in particular, liked the creamy mushroom sauce paired with the chicken. I was rather pleased myself with how well this turned out and will definitely make it again. The best part about this dish is you can also make the chicken on its own without the sauce.

14 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Absolutely beautiful Dharm. Fennel and dairy would give me pause too. This really looks and sounds excellent.

Foodycat said...

That looks delicious! I bet the sauce would be nice just with a bit of rice too. I am still thinking through my entry... Protos wouldn't want to make life easy at all, would he?!

Peter M said...

Dharm, that's a Feast all right and the plating looks awesome.

Good luck Jousting!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

This looks fantastic Dharm!! :)
Best of luck! I mean, who doesn't love a roasted chicken! That sauce looks fantastic!

Bellini Valli said...

Good luck in the Joust Dharm...this is comfort food with a twist:D

KJ said...

This sounds great Dharm. I have never really cooked with fennel. I will have to give it a go one day soon.

janetching said...

Hi Dharm, this looks yummy. Good luck in the Joust..

Psychgrad said...

I would love to have this for dinner. Chicken and mushrooms, two of my favourite foods. Great entry for the joust!

I'll be referring to your advice on coconut milk in my next post.

Hana said...

Hi Dharm. Im Hana, I love to cook and yet to bake. It always hard for me to find ppl who hv honestly shared their recipe online. I tried ur Dory with Mushroom Lemon sauce yesterday and it turn out sooo well done!! My hubby, my dad, my mom, my brother.. they all compliment the dish. Thanx to u for sharing it. I just move in my new home and haven't tried to bake any cake/cookies using my new oven. Hoho~! I browse thru ur list of cakes. Wow! Its tempting to see all those pictures. Since my hubby is not a big fan of CHOC, so i decided to try out fruit tart (his FAV!) for Hari Raya. I really appreciate if you could share your lovely fruit tart recipe, both the crust (from ur lovely Angelina) and the custard. Cant wait!

Nik Snacks said...

You're chicken looks fat, juicy, and delicious. The mushrooms look so creamy and delicious, too. Good luck in the joust.

Dee said...

The chicken looks scrumptious Dharm! I love that you roasted the chicken with Fennel (I always get my Jintans confused, is this manis or putih?). The creamy sauce would be fantastic with pasta too :)

Personally, I think nasi lemak should be our national dish, but I think the majority vote is with roti canai :(

giz said...

Dharm, there's an award on our blog for you

fatboybakes said...

drooling oridi!!
omigosh, we have quite a lot in common la. engineer, sagittarian, like to cook, like to write, etc. we could've been twins. (except i am a year older!)

janetching said...

Both chicken and the sauce match so well, already making me hungry. Best of luck in the Joust!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin