Friday, 5 September 2008

A little Game called Omnivore's Hundred

I've seen this little 'game' on Jenn's blog and more recently on Valli's blog so I thought I would join in the fun and play too!

Basically it's a list created by Andrew from Very Good Taste, of 100 things he thinks “every good omnivore should have tried at least once in their life.” This is what he says:


The Omnivore’s Hundred



"Here’s a chance for a little interactivity for all the bloggers out there. Below is a list of 100 things that I think every good omnivore should have tried at least once in their life. The list includes fine food, strange food, everyday food and even some pretty bad food - but a good omnivore should really try it all. Don’t worry if you haven’t, mind you; neither have I, though I’ll be sure to work on it. Don’t worry if you don’t recognise everything in the hundred, either; Wikipedia has the answers.


Here’s what I want you to do:


1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at http://www.verygoodtaste.co.uk/ linking to your results. "

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho (we just call it Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup!)
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi (potato and cauliflower dry curry!!)
15. Hot dog from a street cart (in LA and also from Ramly Burger carts!)
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle (a tiny bit scattered in a main dish in a fancy restaurant)
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns (what we call Char Siew Pau - my son's favourite too!)
20. Pistachio ice cream (not a great fan though..)
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut (had the REAL stuff in Munchen)
35. Root beer float (that's what A&W is for)
36. Cognac with a fat cigar (one of lifes great pleasures!!)
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat (I make the stuff!)
42. Whole insects
43. Phaal (I dont call it Phaal but since Wiki says its a fiery South Indian curry, then its part of my diet!)
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu - nope, never had pufferfish
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst
65. Durian (But of COURSE! Its the King of the Fruits and as Malaysian as anything!)
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette (in Bak Kut Teh!)
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini (Caviar yes, not sure about blini)
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom Yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake


57% - sounds like most of my exam results!! Considering though that a lot of the stuff isnt easily available in this part of the world, I think I aced this!!

And I'm also kind of proud that I didnt cross anything off the list.

5 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Really fun how much this tells isn't it.
I think there a several things I'll have to cross off here so I'll have to content myself and be proud of you for not.
Can't believe you've not had Huevos rancheros . . .
Have another meme I've yet to do before this one ;)

Bellini Valli said...

Very adventurous Dharm. I still think I would have crossed off the insects if I hadn't have tried the chocolate covered ants years ago:D

Foodycat said...

I am impressed that you didn't cross anything off! I am just not that broad-minded.

marye said...

Valli ate chocolate covered ants? EWW.

Pretyt cool list Dharm...I think I will steal it.

:)DId I see chipotle there anywhere?

Wendy - said...

What a fun list. I feel like a food baby with amount of things I haven't tried! I also have a question for you on a future DBr project but can't seem to find your contact info.....Wendy

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin