Quick Menu


Monday 15 September 2008

Have you ever seen a rabbit wear glasses?



See, among my immediate family, meaning my two brothers, my mom and my dad, I am the only one that doesnt wear glasses (or spectacles). There's a reason for that too. You see, when I was young, I made sure I ate all my carrots. Don't believe me? Well, I ask you then - have you ever seen a rabbit that wears glasses??

That's the story I tell my kids anyway. It's not that there is ever any issue in getting them to eat their carrots, or any other vegetable for that matter. It just makes an interesting tale to tell around the dinner table - and one extra reason for them to eat more carrots!



Do carrots really help your vision? According to studies, carrots are rich in beta-carotene. The body converts this to vitamin A which is a crucial nutrient for maintaining proper eyesight. Having said that however, if your vision is already bad, eating carrots or increasing your intake of Vitamin A wont help in any way. So it appears that Vitamin A helps in maintaining good eyesight - not improving it.

Anyway, enough about eyesight. This simple carrot dish is lovely as a side dish and is often made by the Lovely Wife to supplement a curry or other meat dish. This is what she does:

Ingredients
4 carrots
1 big onion
1 clove garlic
1 tsp mustard seeds
handful curry leave
1-2 tbsp chilli flakes

Method
Pare and Grate Carrots. Fry mustard seeds followed by onions and garlic. Then add in the curry leaves. Mix well. Add in the carrots and stir fry till slightly soft. Add in the chilli flakes and continue to mix well. Season with salt.





The only little difficult part in this recipe is the paring and grating - otherwise it is so simple, even a 5 year old could make it! Its really quite delicious too and brings out the natural sweetness of the carrots.


6 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I do really enjoy the carrot salad and this one looks terrific.
But, I have seen a rabbit with glasses. You may have missed him as he just went down the hole right before Alice ;0)

Alicia Foodycat said...

It looks so healthy! But apparently the carrot/vision thing was partly a propaganda story to explain why British pilots were so good on night-raids and hide the development of radar. Or something. In WW2.

maybelles mom said...

I grew up eating the exact same salad. the curry leaves are what make it.

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

I want to eat this right now. I love carrots. Curry leaves, eh?

Thistlemoon said...

Makes so much sense Dharm! I love carrots they are good in so many ways!

giz said...

I like the whole simple elegance of this colourful salad. There's really no question about what you're eating.