Monday, 25 August 2008

Citrus Chicken and Oats Symphony in D Major



It's Royal Foodie Joust time again! For those of you that don't know what the RFJ is, all I can say is... WHAT?!!! The Royal Food Joust has been around for more than a year now and is one of the great food events in the blogosphere. The brainchild of Jenn, the Leftover Queen, the Joust is a monthly event where three ingredients are chosen by the previous months winner. You then need to make something using ALL three of the said ingredients. You can add as many ingredients as you wish, but all three ingredients provided Must be used.
This months ingredients were chosen by Kittie with Kittens in her Kitchen and her choice of ingredients was:

Whole Grains (or at least they have to be whole at the start of the recipe!)
Ginger (in any form)
Citrus (any, in any form!)

Quite a challenge if you ask me!


The Whole Grains part had me stumped for a while since Kittie had specified that you had to use Whole Grains and not a by product like wholegrain flour or wholegrain bread. Hmm.. Tough one. Then, a quick check on the internet showed that Corn was a whole grain as was Oats and also Rice. However, Rice would have to be brown rice or wild rice. I was deeply troubled by this joust!

Then I got inspired by a memory of Buttered Prawns with Nestum. (Nestum is a kind of cereal made by Nestle for those of you that don't know what it is).

I decided to try and do something like that but use Chicken instead and flavour the chicken with Ginger and Lemon. Then, as I got more excited about how this sounded, I decided to throw in some mandarin oranges as well for added citrus! This is what I did.



Citrus Chicken and Oat Concerto in D Major

Ingredients
1/4 cup oats
500gm chicken breast or fillet
2 slices wholemeal bread
1 can peeled mandarin oranges - drained
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tsp honey
2 red chillis
handful curry leaves
2 inches ginger
1 large onion
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp corn flour


Method
Pound/grind one inch of the ginger and set aside. Cut the chicken into strips. Season with the corn flour, a little salt and pepper, sesame oil and ground ginger. Leave to marinate. Meanwhile, process the bread till you get breadcrumbs. Add in the oats and pulse till the oats are slightly fine. Heat some oil and fry the breadcrumbs and oats till crispy. Season with a little pepper and salt. Set aside.
Chop the onion and slice the remaining ginger into thin strips. Sautee together with the oregano in a little oil until the onion is tender. Add in the chicken and cook well till nicely browned. Mix the honey with lemon juice and add into the chicken, allow to simmer. Slice the red Chilli into thin strips and add to the chicken, giving it a good stir.
In another pan, quickly fry the Curry leaves until fragrant and crispy. Add the curry leaves, crispy oats and oranges to the chicken and give it a quick mix to combine.



I served this with some of my Spicy Aglio Olio Pasta which is simply Pasta stirred in Olive Oil, Garlic and Chilli Flakes. This time I used Tri Colore Fussili for some added colour. I reckon though that this would would have been just as delicious served with Rice or even on its own. The Lovely Wife was extremely pleased with this dish and declared it her favourite Royal Foodie Joust entry! Both the kids thought it was a lovely dish too and my son wolfed down his portion very very quickly.




Thanks Kittie for spurring me on to create this dish as I think it is definitely something very tasty and special - I mean, if the kids and the Lovely Wife liked it, that makes me a winner already!!

Since this dish was served with Pasta, I'm also entering this into the Presto Pasta Nights hosted by my friend Ruth at Once Upon A Feast



And whats with the name? Well,a symphony has as one of its definitions "anything characterized by a harmonious combination of elements". Since the flavours of Lemon and Orange together with Oats and Chicken produce a lovely combination, there you have your Symphony. And since I made it, and my first name starts with D, there you have the reason for D Major!

If you don't appreciate my creative naming or think that it's even a little funny, just imagine what the Lovely Wife has to put up with most of the time...


8 comments:

Foodycat said...

Great entry Dharm! I think the nutty cereals with the spicy, fruit chicken would be just wonderful.

Marija said...

Symphony indeed!

Bellini Valli said...

As you said if the family loved it it has to be a sure winner Dharm:D

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

It looks totally awesome Dharm! I am sure this is going to be one of the great contenders this month! So healthy too!

Debinhawaii said...

Wonderful and very creative. It looks delicious. Good luck in the joust!

Mansi Desai said...

I'm a pure vegetarian, but the flavors in this dish are intoxicating Dharm! nicely doen:)

Ruth Daniels said...

It does sound like a symphony of flavors. thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

kittie said...

What a great entry - an amazing combo of flavours! Good work Dharm :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin