Quick Menu


Wednesday 25 June 2008

Spicy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta


Whenever I eat something interesting at a restaurant, I feel compelled to try and make it at home. This compulsion gets even more pressing if someone, especially The Lovely Wife, tells me that they enjoyed something somewhere! It's even worse if I'm in their company while they are eating something they enjoy.

That's exaclty what happened some time ago. One of my colleagues and I went out for lunch at Dome. Faz ordered the Spicy Chicken Mushroom Pasta while I ordered the Grilled Chicken. I wasn't terribly impressed with the Grilled Chicken while Faz thought the Pasta was really nice. She asked me to have a taste and asked if I could figure out what was in it. I had to admit it was nice and so that very weekend, I attempted to recreate it.

The sauce was kind of a creamy tomato sauce with hints of curry powder in it. So this is what I did:

Ingredients
3 cloves garlic - chopped
1 onion - slided
4 cloves
300 g Chicken breast - sliced thinly
1 tsp turmeric
1.5 tsps curry powder
200g swiss brown mushrooms - quartered
200g cherry tomatoes - halved
100 ml milk
1 tbsp corn flour
1 medium sized green capsicum - thinly sliced.
Black Pepper
Salt
Olive Oil

Method
Marinate the chicken with salt, pepper and turmeric.
Heat some oil and sautee the garlic, onions and cloves. Add in the curry powder and fry well before adding in chicken. Cook well and then add in the mushrooms and tomatoes. Cook until mushrooms are tender and tomatoes release their juice. Add in the milk and mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Mix corn flour with a little water and add into the mixture. Cook until thickened. Stir in the capsicum.



I served this with Spaghetti and I think it was a good replica if not better than the one that we tasted at Dome!

I've submitted this as an entry as well for Presto Pasta Nights. Look out for the roundup this Friday, hosted by Hillary over at Chew On That.

16 comments:

Peter M said...

Dharm, guessing, experimenting and ultimately copying a dish I've tried at a restaurant is one of my favourite cooking exercises.

I don't know what the original tasted like but you're rendition looks fab!

Anonymous said...

I always admire people who leave a restaurant and then figure out how to reproduce a dish they loved... it's such a great way to hone your skills! Your dish looks wonderful.

Ruth Daniels said...

I agree with Peter and Ann...great job! Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

I agree, too. It looks good. I haven't tried recreating dishes I've eaten while dining out much. My hat is off to you for experimenting.

glamah16 said...

I always find the pasta concoctions we make at home better than the restaurants.

Leslie said...

mmmm..that looks great..too bad my husband isnt a fan of curry!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I think I consider recreating dishes the ultimate challenge. You have to first taste and identify what's in it. That often throws me for a loop. Then you have to put together ingredients AND amounts . . . that's probably where I go sit in the corner.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Your dish looks terrific!! My hats off to you Dharm, well done.

ShellyH said...

I wish I was that talented! There are numerous restaurant dishes I love but haven't been able to reproduce them at home.

Deborah said...

It sounds delicious. I'm horrible at trying to recreate recipes, and I'm always impressed by people who can!

Katie Zeller said...

Hmmm, I know a couple of guys who would do extremely dangerous things to get their hands (and forks) on this....

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Excellent Dharm!!

Elizabeth said...

Yum, this looks delicious!

maybelles mom said...

this is delishous looking. I feel like it is a wonderful combination of so many cultures. great.

Feeqah said...

I tried it! 'Cause I love the one at Dome so much. Although it didn't taste the same, it was still pretty awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your talent (^^,)

Dishranawaywiththespoon said...

Thanks Feeqah for trying it because I wanted to know whether he managed to recreate the dish. That's my all time fav dish at Dome. Sad to hear it didn't taste the same. ��