Saturday, 17 May 2008

Oriental Fusion Chicken - or chicken with raspberries, lime, almonds and chilli!




The thing I like about the Royal Foodie Joust is that it stretches your creativity. I mean what in the world was I supposed to make with Raspberries, Lime and Almonds? I threw my hands up in frustration. I quite liked the action, so I threw them up again. Then I hit my fingers on the side of the door - Ouch!

No, no, that didnt really happen but it's something that I'm quite liable to do.

Anyway, I was in a bit of a quandary. Heck, even getting your hands on fresh raspberries in Malaysia is difficult not to mention bleeding Expensive! Then Elle, with the kitchen in New England - the winner of last months joust (and the person responsible for the choice of ingredients this month), suggested that I used canned raspberries or even raspberry jam. Thing's didnt look quite so bleek anymore.

The problem was, what to make? What to Make? WHAT TO MAKE??? I threw my hands up in frustration...(refer third line from top). Yeah, you get the picture. I was so bleeding frustrated that I was considering holding a lime, some almonds, puckering up my face, sticking out my tongue and Blowing a Raspberry at the whole Royal Foodie Joust. You know, Raspberry - Pbbbttttt!!


Then I heard a voice.

"Emotions your judgement they cloud. Yourself calm you must. Think. Focus. Feel the Force...."

No, that wasn't working either. Yoda wasn't a very good cook anyway - at least not in his old age.

I closed my eyes and tried to picture something. Then I saw it. A bat. A bat with madly flapping wings. A bat wearing a suit. No, not Batman silly, this was a real bat dressed in a tux. (humour me)

Suddenly - a cloud of smoke, Lightning, Thunder, evil maniacal laughter - Muuaahahahahahahaha!

I had it!

Muahahahahaha! More lightning, more thunder, more laughter.

This is what I did:


Ingredients
300 gm Chicken fillet
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger
5 dried red chillies
50 gm almond slivers
5 small limes
8 young corn
1 green capsicum
2-3 tsp raspberry jam
1 tsp corn flour
Black pepper



Method
Slice chicken into strips and season with a little salt and pepper.
Slice onion and ginger and chop garlic finely. Cut chillies into large pieces. Heat a little oil and fry onion till caramelised. Add in ginger, garlic and chilli and a little black pepper. Fry till fragrant.
Add in chicken and cook well. While chicken is cooking, toast the almonds in a hot pan.

Meanwhile cut corn and capsicum into large pieces. Add to the chicken and continue cooking, adding a little water if necessary.
In a separate saucepan, melt the raspberry jam with a little water until smooth. Pour into the chicken and mix well. Cut the small limes and squeeze juice into the chicken and mix well.
Add corn flour to a little water and add to the chicken. Mix well and allow to simmer for a while until chicken is nicely coated. Add in almonds.


I served this with rice but I reckon it would also make a nice pasta dish or even a chinese noodle dish.

How did it taste? Pretty much as I thought it would. It was akin to a spicy sweet and sour chicken and the raspberry taste was there but not overpowering. The lime lent a nice twang although again it wasn't overpowering. Both flavours complemented each other and they were very subtle.

The Lovely Wife liked the dish a lot especially the spiciness of the chillies contrasting with the sweet sour of the raspberry and lime. The kids wolfed it down with lots of rice but then again, they were really, really hungry!

On my part, I was very pleased with how this dish turned out and I now have another original to add to my collection. So thanks Elle for the wonderful choice of ingredients and for spurring me to create this new dish.


I have to go now and blow a raspberry (pbbbbt) at a certain bat before he flies away ...

MUUAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! *Lightning* *Thunder*




10 comments:

glamah16 said...

You did a amazing job! Im so glad you made it savory.Wondeful.

Bellini Valli said...

I was wondering what someone would do for a savory component with these 3 ingredients Dharm. I think you have nailed it!!

Ruth Elkin said...

What a great dish!!!! I'm loving the sound of this. Great RFJ entry.

Kavs said...

that was a stroke of genius!!!

Dharm said...

Thanks guys! This was really fun to make!

The Imaginary Invalid. said...

HAHAHAHA!! This a funny post! A bat in a tux!! Have you been watching too many cartoons?

:P

Nikki Miller-Ka said...

I love the baby corn (or young corn) in this. You did a great job, my friend.

Judy @ No Fear Entertaining said...

Great entry Dharm!! Very funny as well.

LisaRene said...

Well done! I'm glad you did a savory recipe, I think that stretches the imagination a bit more then doing a sweet one.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Dharm, you are so funny! I always love reading your Joust posts especially, because there is always the Star Wars, Yoda theme going on and it amazes me every time!

This looks like an amazing entry! YAY!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin