Friday, 30 May 2008

Orange Choc Sponge Cake



Remember the Peace Cake I made for a friend's birthday recently? Well, there was quite a bit of chocolate icing left over. Usually I wouldn't worry too much about leftover icing but since this had a fair bit of Dark Chocolate in it, I couldn't very well let it go to waste now could I? So, I decided to take a leaf out of the book of my friend, Jenn, the Leftover Queen. She's the expert at not wasting anything and so I decided not to let anything go to waste either!

As I said earlier, I would normally just get rid of any extra chocolate icing but this chocolate icing not only had lovely Dark Chocolate in it, but there was also Cointreau! Now throwing chocolate and orange liquer out is a bad, bad thing!

Here's what I did. I whisked up a sponge cake using my tried and tested recipe from the Aust Womens Weekly New Cookbook(1978). It was my mom's recipe book that I appropriated in one of my visits. I think I may have mentioned that before in a previous post but what the heck, it doesn't really matter if I've mentioned it before.


Vanilla Sponge Cake
4 egggs
3/4 cup castor sugar
2/3 cup plain flour
1/3 cup cornflour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Beat eggs with electric beater till thick and creamy. (about 5-8 minutes) Mixture will triple. Gradually beat in sugar till dissolved.
Sift dry ingredients a few times and the gently but quickly fold into the egg mixture. Pour mixture into two greased and lined 20cm (8in) round cake tins. Bake in preheated 180C oven for about 20 - 25 mins.


Then, I sandwiched the layers with the leftover Chocolate Icing. Finally, I made a glaze by melting some Orange Marmalade with icing sugar and then pouring it over the cake.


I intentionally left the cake 'messy' as I wanted a kind of rustic, homemade look to it. The cake was deliciously light yet so tasty with the chocolate icing and marmalade on top.

Not only did I manage to use my leftover chocolate, but I came up with an easy and lovely recipe at the same time!




4 comments:

toontz said...

Orange and chocolate—one of the best flavor combinations around! I wish I had a piece of that cake right now. Mmmmm...

glamah16 said...

Orange and chococlate rocks!

Ruth Elkin said...

I love orange and chocolate and I love cake!!! Great use of leftovers!!!!!

Nikki Miller-Ka said...

Your cake looks so spongy, moist, and wonderful. I love a rustic cake (because I cannot frost a cake to save my life. I always pour glazes on to cut out the middle man.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin