Saturday, 14 July 2007

Royal Foodie Joust #2 - Peachy Pasta



This is my submission for the August Royal Foodie Joust hosted by the Leftover Queen

For the August Joust the 3 ingredients provided were:
Peaches
Honey
Eggs

At first, I contemplated making a Peachy Dessert but since I made a dessert for the first Joust I thought I should try something different. Main meals always sit well with me and I decided on this creation for the following reasons:
1) We were having company this weekend
2) My kids love pasta
3) I wanted to try a different kind of Pasta Dish
4) I could 'kill two birds with one stone' by submitting this to Presto Pasta Nights too!
5) There doesnt need to be a reason okay! I just wanted to do it!

And so... my submission for the August Joust is:

Peachy Honey Mustard Pasta Casserole

This is how it goes

Ingredients:
400 g Chicken - cut into small pieces
200 g Button Mushrooms
5 cloves garlic
1 large onion
2 tsp Mustard
1 1/2 tsp Honey
1/4 cup cream
1 cup milk
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 tin of canned Peaches
2 eggs
150 g Cheddar Cheese - grated
Black Pepper
Salt

Method
Hard boil the eggs, peel and chop. Set aside. Drain juices from Peaches and cut cube half of the peaches and set aside. Keep the rest to eat later!
Sautee Onions, garlic, oregano, rosemary and black pepper. Add in the mushrooms and chicken and cook well. Add in mustard and honey then the cream and milk. Mix well. Allow to simmer. Season with salt. Add in peaches and mix well. Take off from heat and allow flavours to infuse.



Meanwhile, boil your choice of pasta. I used Fussili Tricolore and the three colours added character to the dish. Mix the pasta with the sauce and add in the chopped hard boiled eggs.
Place into a pyrex dish or casserole dish and sprinkle with cheese. Bake in a preheated 190C oven for 30 minutes.


The verdict? Everyone liked it a lot and agreed it was different and rather uncommon. Most importantly, the kids loved it!

The pasta was certainly different and the peaches lent a nice sweet fruity flavour. The honey and mustard together with the cream base gave it an overall tang that was rather unique in a pasta dish. Nobody could quite figure out what was giving the pasta such a unique flavour and they were all surprised when I announced the ingredients!




So, if you liked this, please scoot over to the Leftover Queen's Royal Food Joust for August and vote for me and also to see what the other entries are.


This was also submitted to Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Ruth at onceuponafeast

1 comment:

Ruth Daniels said...

Sounds very tasty indeed! Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin