Quick Menu


Sunday 22 July 2007

Profiteroles - or lets just call them Cream Puffs!



I've always wondered what the difference is between Profiteroles and Cream Puffs. When I was growing up, I had only ever heard of Cream Puffs. As I started to take an interest in baking and looking at recipes, I discovered this thing called Profiteroles. Even when I went out to swanky restaurants, they always served Profiteroles and never Cream Puffs.
Anyway, I've learnt since then that Profiteroles and Cream Puffs are really the same thing. Its just a way of making Cream Puffs seem rather fancy eh!
After my success a few weeks ago with Choux Pastry - where I made eclairs - I thought I'd try making Cream Puffs. After all there was some cream in the fridge that needed to be used up and I wanted to make something for the kids too.
Rather than just split the puffs and fill it with cream, I made chocolate cream or chocolate ganache (see the way everything has a way of sounding fancy....??!!!!) I piped the cream into the puffs so you couldn't see it but when you bit into it, chocolatey goodness filled your senses.
Needless to say, the kids loved it and I also went one step further and freezed a few of the puffs after filling them with the ganache. The result? A Chocolate Ice-Cream like cream puff.... really delicious and fancy - just like a profiterole should be!

2 comments:

Elle said...

Those are so cute and I'll bet that frozen they are even nicer...especially with some chocolate sauce. Clever you.

Guu said...

HI.i'm curious about the recipe for chocolate cream u piped into the puffs and turns out like ice cream. im trying to find something like that too. is it the same recipe for chocolate pastry cream in your Chocolate Éclairs post?